Avocado Potato and Veggie Salad is a mayo-free & green veggie packed alternative to traditional potato salad. Gold potatoes, asparagus, green beans, and peas are tossed in a creamy avocado and lemon dressing and fresh herbs.
There aren’t too many foods I don’t like, but oddly enough, mayo-laden potato salads happen to be one dish I’ve never cared for. I say oddly enough because potatoes are one of my favorite foods, so what gives? All that mayo (and don’t get me started on people who add relish or pickles) in traditional potato salad makes for a heavy, rich recipe that tastes…well, like mayo.
Mushy potatoes doused in mayo? No, thanks!
Enter my Avocado Potato and Veggie Salad. It’s fresh, light, and packs heart-healthy fat in the form of the always-amazing-on-everything avocado!
Baby gold potatoes, asparagus, green beans, and peas are tossed with lots of fresh dill and chives. I probably say this ALL the time, but there’s something about all that green color! Makes ya feel healthy just looking at it, doesn’t it?!
More green = more good stuff for your body. The basics of good nutrition, friends.
And then everything gets tossed in this bright, creamy lemon juice and avocado dressing. Whether you serve it warm or cold, it’s delicious either way!
Take it to your next BBQ and get ready to introduce everyone to their new favorite potato salad! 😉
- 1 lb baby yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1½-inch pieces (about 2 cups chopped)
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 2 tbsp dill, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place halved potatoes in medium pot and add enough cold water to cover potatoes by 1 inch. Place pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to medium and let simmer about 10 minutes. Check with a fork for doneness after 10 minutes - potatoes are done when a fork can easily pierce them. (Careful not to overcook your potatoes or you'll have softer potatoes that fall apart in the salad...unless, of course, that's how you prefer your potato salad!)
- Drain potatoes and set aside.
- While potatoes cook, bring another pot of water to a boil. Add green beans, asparagus, and peas to boiling water and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Immediately drain vegetables and place in ice water bath about 5 minutes to cool (this helps them retain their bright green color!) Add vegetables to the potatoes and set aside.
- In a blender, combine avocado, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and ¼ cup water. Blend until smooth, adding more water if necessary to help combine and thin the dressing. Dressing should be thinner than guacamole but not watery - thick enough to cover the back of a spoon.
- Add dressing, chives, and dill to the potatoes and vegetables and toss to combine. Can be served immediately or refrigerated for several hour before serving.