Braised red cabbage is a simple, old-fashioned side dish. Red cabbage is simmered in butter and apple cider vinegar for a 5 ingredient vegetable that’s easy, healthy, and beautiful!
Something about Braised Red Cabbage seems so old-fashioned to me. Maybe because it reminds me of the dinner scene from “A Christmas Story”, where the mother coaxes her youngest into eating his dinner by encouraging him to eat like a little piggy. The kid (Randy!) proceeds to shove his face into his plate of meatloaf, potatoes, and yes, red cabbage, oinking the entire time. You know the scene?
This scene always had my brother & I cracking up. If you haven’t seen it, add it to your holiday list later in the year! It’s a classic!
Anyway, maybe it was that scene that inspired me to make this braised red cabbage and serve it up along side mini meatloaves and roasted vegetables. The cabbage is tangy from simmering in apple cider vinegar and a little bit creamy and rich from the addition of a few tablespoons of butter. It’s a little sweet and sour and such a good combination!
How beautiful is this color? I’m obsessed! Not surprising since I love all things purple. A great way to include more color in your life and nutrition! 💜
- 1/2 large head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp butter (I use & recommend Kerrygold)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add cabbage & red onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add salt, water, and vinegar, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low and cover pan. Let cabbage simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until softened. Stir every 5-10 minutes.