Creamy Corn Chowder is fall comfort food at its finest! Corn, veggies, and potatoes make a filling and warming plant-based soup. For non-vegetarian friends, try topping with bacon or adding cooked chicken!
Maybe it’s the endless variety, the comfort factor, or because soup is the original meal in a bowl, but I LOVE soup. Like, really, really love it.
There’s something about fall that makes me crave soup around the clock. After all, what’s better than a pot of soup simmering away on the stove on a chilly evening? That, plus wine and some crusty bread…I mean, hello, perfection.
While it would be hard for me to pick an all-time favorite soup, my family would give this Creamy Corn Chowder their vote.
Some of us like it as is, some request meat added in, and some top it with shredded cheese.
However you like it, this is a one pot, 30(ish) minute meal that’s perfect for autumn nights and game day get togethers!
Oh, and like all the best recipes, the leftovers make great lunches! 😊
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & sliced cross-wise
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 lb baby yellow potatoes, halved or quartered (depending on size)
- 32 oz (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 16oz bag frozen corn
- 3/4 cup half and half (or unsweetened nondairy milk)
- 1/4 cup chopped chives, optional
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked and chopped, optional
- Place butter and olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- When butter is melted, add celery, carrots, and onion. Sauté 5 minutes, or till tender. Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes more. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes, while stirring.
- Add chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a simmer (takes about 10 minutes), then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer uncovered 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are cooked through when pierced with a fork.
- Stir in corn and half and half. Cook 5-10 minutes or until warmed through.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with chives and bacon, if desired.