Happy almost Easter! There’s something about springtime and coconut recipes that go together, ya know? If you’re a coconut lover, these Triple Coconut Muffins are going to be your new favorite thing.
I can’t believe spring is already upon us, but no complaints here! Sunny daffodils are popping up all around, trees are budding, grass is turning green again – it’s all a welcome sight. But most importantly, the days are getting longer and warmer, which means summer is just around the corner. I like all the seasons, but if I had to pick my absolute favorite, it would have to be summer.
Last summer, on a beach trip with friends, I had the best coconut muffin of my life at none other than a seafood joint. I know what you’re thinking. Coconut muffins at a seafood restaurant?
Yeah, I’d think it kind of weird, too, if I hadn’t been there and tasted them for myself. The muffins were SO good – still warm from the oven, light, sweet, buttery, and packed with shredded coconut. Like I could have made a whole meal out of muffins kind of good. Really, they were more cupcake than muffin, but you know what they say – cake is always a good idea. Or something like that.
Back at home, I couldn’t stop thinking about those muffins! So I started playing around with a basic muffin recipe in an attempt to pack as much coconut-ty flavor into one little muffin as I could. The results are so good, I just had to share!
My coconut muffins are not as sweet and cake-like as the originals I had at the beach – I don’t even want to know how much butter and sugar went into those! But there’s PLENTY of coconut here – the triple coconut comes from using coconut oil (the fat), coconut cream (the liquid), and, of course, plenty of shredded coconut. Okay, so all that coconut doesn’t make these low-fat muffins, but I think they’re worth it!
These muffins are tender, light, and not overly sweet. The flavor reminds me of a slice of coconut cream pie, just ya know, in muffin form. And all that coconut and vanilla makes the house smell pretty amazing while they’re baking.
Coconut seems to be one of those things that people either really love or really hate. These muffins get rave reviews from the coconut lovers in my life. So, if you’re craving coconut or still need a little something extra for your Easter spread this weekend, give these Triple Coconut Muffins a try!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) coconut oil, melted & cooled slightly
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- unsweetened shredded coconut for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray standard muffin tin with cooking spray (I like & use Trader Joe's Coconut Oil Spray).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together eggs, coconut oil, coconut cream, and vanilla extract. Stir in sugar.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Fold in the shredded coconut.
- Fill muffin tins ⅔ full with batter. Top with additional shredded coconut, if desired. Bake for 18 minutes or edges are lightly golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in muffin tin 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.