Salsa Beans and Rice
Salsa Beans and Rice is a Tex-Mex take on classic beans and rice. Black and kidney beans are simmered with veggies, salsa, and seasonings for a protein and veggie packed main dish perfect for Meatless Mondays!
I love a good Meatless Monday recipe and, to be honest, Salsa Beans and Rice is an old favorite I’d somehow forgotten about until recently!
Black beans and kidney beans are simmered with onions, garlic, jalapeño, salsa, and of course, some greens for a flavorful and filling Tex-Mex meatless main dish! The whole thing comes together in just under 30 minutes, making it a perfect weekday meal!
Beans are one of those foods I know I should eat more of for their beneficial plant-based protein and fiber. There’s always beans in my pantry, but I take them for granted.
But no longer! This is a great recipe to let beans be the star of dinnertime!
Serve with your favorite rice – brown or jasmine both make great choices. I’ve never tried it, but I totally think Salsa Beans and Rice would taste just as good served with quinoa or other whole grains!
Try adding a little lime zest to your rice for extra flavor!
And don’t forget to have fun with some toppings! Try extra chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeños, avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, lime wedges…
I’ll take all of the above, please!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds & membrane removed, chopped
- 1 14-oz can black beans, drained
- 1 14-oz can red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups mild salsa
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice, prepared according to package directions (I used jasmine rice)
- shredded cheese, lime wedges, extra chopped cilantro, sour cream, avocado slices for topping, optional
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute about 3 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Add drained black beans, kidney beans with their canning liquid, salsa, cumin, salt, pepper, and water. Stir to combine and allow mixture to come to a simmer. Once simmering, lower heat to medium-low and let simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cilantro and let simmer about another 5 minutes or until greens have softened.
- Serve bean mixture with cooked rice. Top with shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, avocado slices/guacamole, and/or lime wedges.