Store bought salsa verde makes these pulled chicken burrito bowls extra easy! Add greens and seasoned rice to create simple, healthy burrito style bowls or serve taco style in your favorite hard or soft tortillas.
There’s just something about a meal in a bowl, you know what I mean? Add any combination of Mexican-inspired flavors and I’m 100% sold.
These Salsa Verde Pulled Chicken Burrito Bowls couldn’t be easier to prepare – and are super versatile!
I like to pile the shredded chicken mixture on a bed of greens with some garlic butter seasoned rice (I’ll share how I do it!), extra salsa, and a dollop of sour cream.
What You Need to Make Salsa Verde Pulled Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Store bought salsa verde (I love Trader Joe’s version!)
- Bell pepper
- Spices: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander
- Chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro
- Salad greens, for serving
- Prepared brown rice, for serving
- Additional salsa & sour cream, for topping
Sauté sliced bell pepper and onion in a bit of olive oil over high heat for a fajita-like twist (+ extra veggies, always) and set aside.
Then, brown chicken breasts in the same skillet and finish cooking simmered in a super simple sauce made from store bought salsa verde (aka green salsa), chicken broth, and a few seasonings.
Remove the cooked chicken breasts from the sauce to shred, using two forks OR a handheld mixer with beater attachments. I saw this mixer trick somewhere along the way on social media and, you guys, IT REALLY WORKS!
I can’t stand the sound of forks scraping together or getting stuck together trying to shred meat, so I always ended up shredding by hand and burning the heck out of my fingers. The handheld mixer trick is a game changer!
Chicken, peppers, and onions go back into the salsa verde sauce with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a handful of chopped cilantro.
You don’t have to serve the chicken with rice, or even as a bowl, but I recommend it! Adding greens and brown rice seasoned with a bit of butter and garlic powder are my favorite pairings with this chicken!
This shredded chicken would also be awesome in your favorite soft/hard tortillas for easy tacos or burritos! Add your favorite toppings and dinner is served!
Salsa Verde Chicken Burrito Bowls
For the chicken:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bell pepper sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 12 oz jarred salsa verde (I like Trader Joe's)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups leafy greens
- sour cream for topping
- your favorite salsa for topping
For the chicken:
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add peppers and onion and cook over high heat, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer peppers and onion to a bowl and set aside.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place chicken breasts in same skillet and cook 4-5 minutes per side, till browned.
- Pour salsa verde, chicken broth, and remaining spices over chicken breasts. Lower heat to medium, cover skillet, and let simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken breasts from skillet and shred.
- Return shredded chicken to skilet with peppers and onions. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Season 1 cup cooked brown rice with 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Divide leafy greens and seasoned brown rice between two bowls. Top with 1/2-1 cup of chicken mixture, sour cream, and additional salsa, if desired.
You may also like: